Friday, December 7, 2012

Simon and Garfunkel,Bookends from Sundazed

My copy of the album reviewed

I remember taking  $20.00 out of my wallet, approached the cashier at the Music Factory here in New Orleans,placed this album on the counter as I was purchasing it for $ 18.00 and exclaimed ''absolute masterpiece!'',he firmly agreed and a masterpiece it is! Paul Simon can rival Paul Mccartney in his songwriting tour De force,although approaching his subjects with a darker take.Bridge over troubled water far exeeds Let it Be if you were to place both songs back to back  as being exceedingly more beautiful,there was even talk on Larry King during a McCartney interview of both geniuses collaborating on an album together called ''The 2 Pauls.

This is Sundazed Music at their best,the packaging and vinyl are top quality,and even includes original poster [pictured].Originally released in 1968 from Columbia Records,Bookends remains one of my altime favorite albums,though did not sell as well as Bridge over troubled water,I would consider this the duos absolute best effort.


Poster contained in album,try getting this with a compact disc,lol

Opening with the poignant ''Save the life of my child'' filled with haunting background screams you won't forget and America,the ultimate ''seeker's song'' and lyrically brilliant! The 5th cut of side one is called voices of old people,this is Art's contribution.Art had visited several Jewish nursing homes and interviewed their residents who discuss their hardships of aging,and fits perfectly into the theme of this classic.

Side two rocks with the witty ''Fakin it'',AND,the albums highlight ''Mrs Robinson'' also the soundtrack from the 1968 coming of age film of the same title starring Dustin Hoffman.. Paul teases us with the ambiguous lyric ''hide it in a hiding place where no one ever goes [an I.U.D,lol?,or perhaps her vibrator?],put it in your pantry with your cupcakes.

In closing,this is an album no collection should do without,I had the original pressing stolen along with my entire record collection during an apt break in while I lived in Dallas,so great to have this back!

No comments:

Post a Comment