Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Shocking Blue,At Home,180 gram vinyl imported from Holland


Back cover of my copy

My copy of the album reviewd
 Coined the Dutch version of tThe Jefferson Airplane,though I see no similarities between their musical style nor does lead singer Mariska Verres sound even remotely like Grace Slick.Listening to these Dutch Masters,one wouldn't even think they were from The Netherlands as their English is superb and may be noted as one hit wonders,but there's much more magic then just their #1 hit Venus,their only chart topper that was #1 on the American charts in 1969. This was the first Dutch band to hit it big in the U.S. before Focus and Golden Earing,and I love rock music from the Netherlands!

This is Mariska's first album with the group,a gorgeous woman who although looked slutty was just the opposite,and she made it clear before joining the band,absolutely no sex or sexual overture,or I leave,she never drank,was never married,nor used drugs.Her voice is one of the most unique in rock music,no Ann Wilson,but just as equal in her own way.

The sitar was introduced to rock music by George Harrison in 1966's Revolver,but lost it's appeal in early 1968,but Shocking Blue uses it quite errently through several track long after it's use waned quite remarkably I might add.Flavored with countryand western as in the gorgeous song Boll Weevil  that is inundated with witty lyrics,and psychedelia

I ordered this directly from Holland at a whopping $30.00 and can tell you was worth every penny as this is one of my most treasured LP's including bonus tracks.Love machine,a tenacious rocker,and The Butterfly and I ,a  very eerie song are the albums highlites. This band is now recieving the notoriety they deserve,I just ordered thier third album Scorpio's Dance I'm waiting from Europe to arrive

SO,my opinion,I give this a perfect 10!
The lovely Mariska Verres


No comments:

Post a Comment